Saturday, December 28, 2013

Old habits die hard

<sigh> Old habits die hard.

Almost two months ago, I realized that supporting our locally owned and operated businesses can mean more than just stopping in a local business once in awhile. Every Saturday, I buy beer, and it's always Budweiser, in a bottle. I have a few decades-long brand loyalty to Bud. When I asked for suggestions to switch to a comparable locally produced beer, Lee Weldon, ...a strong supporter of this site and manager of Habitat ReStore, suggested National Premium, the favorite old beer that has gained new life through the efforts of the owner in Easton. (In fact, I had an interesting learning tour of the efforts of entreprenuers across the country bringing back the old brands of various products that had long since disappeared off our shelves.)

Long story short (too late, I know), National Premium is a bit more expensive than Bud, but I vowed to treat myself to a six-pack every once in awhile. After a long day at work (only a ten-hour day, today, no breaks or lunch), I stopped at my locally owned and operated liquor store and bought...Budweiser. Just habit. Tired from a long day, grabbed my beer, and headed home. Cursed myself out once again for not getting the National Premium after I had gotten almost halfway home.

Yes, old habits die hard, especially when one gets up in age. I refuse to accept that I am an old dog so I am getting me a six-pack of National Premium this week even if I have to walk the thirty miles uphill, both ways, to the nearest store in subzero temps and in a raging blizzard.

2 comments:

  1. That's so funny! My husband and I can totally relate! We own the local children's boutique, Sur Jeudi, in downtown Cambridge. When we have to go to Wal-mart, we always feel super guilty. Or if we get a latte at Dunkin Doughnuts, because we forgot about the local cafe.

    The good thing is you acknowledged your fault, lol. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, but no need to feel guilty. I did buy a six pack of National Premium this past Sunday (check out our FB page for a review: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shop-Local-Delmarva/143805389003402), and it will become part of my beer routine, although, because of the price, it probably won't be a permanent replacement for my Budweiser.

    Hard, cold realities are that most of us shop where convenient, and, more importantly, where we save money. Save money is more important than convenience? Of course. People will drive a couple of miles out of their way to save a dollar on a regularly purchased item without giving a second thought to the gas and time cost involved. My Mom, every Sunday, mapped out her shopping routine based on prices and coupon offers and we'd visit three or four different stores to save a buck! Between the mentality of the average consumer wanting convenience and savings, Shop Local Delmarva strives to encourage a 10% shift (http://www.shoplocaldelmarva.com/content/articles/make-10-shift) and promotion of a Shop Local Delmarva Day the second Saturday of every month (http://www.shoplocaldelmarva.com/content/sld-day/unofficial-shop-local-delmarva-day). A ten percent shift in spending reaps a huge benefit for our locally owned and operated businesses, our communities, and our local economies.

    By the way, as a locally owned and operated business, you are entitled to a free, basic listing in the Shop Local Delmarva directory (http://www.shoplocaldelmarva.com/content/get-listed). A basic listing is, and always will be, free. On top of that, you get a free, two-line ad to promote every Shop Local Delmarva Day. Why not get listed?

    ReplyDelete